*This information applies to students from outside the European Union/ EEA. European students have no immigration requirements beyond a passport.


Irish Immigration and Naturalisation Service

First-time Registration

Registration Renewals

Purchasing Medical Insurance online

All non-EEA students (students living outside of Europe) are required to have private medical insurance when coming to and residing in Ireland for the purpose of study. The private medical insurance should provide cover for accident and/or disease and should cover the student for any period of hospitalisation.

The College’s recommended medical insurance provider is O’Driscoll O’Neil Insurance; the portal to its medical insurance provision for ACD students may be accessed by way of the following link: http://www.odon.ie/universities/Website/acd

Students are not required to take up the medical insurance offered by O’Driscoll O’Neil Insurance; they are free to choose whichever medical insurance provider they wish for this purpose. In such cases, the College advises that each student study the relevant provider’s policies carefully in order to ensure that he or she has adequate medical insurance cover.

Visa + Immigration

American College Dublin employs a staff dedicated to serving and advising students on the process of acquiring visas and permissions to study in Ireland. Here we have outlined the process to make preparations for study as seamless as possible.


All non-EU/EAA students must comply with Irish immigration requirements. If you require a study visa, please read carefully through both sections below.

Some international students (including students from the US and Canada) do not need a visa to enter Ireland. Check here to see if you need a visa to study in Ireland. Students in this category can skip the “Before Arriving in Ireland” section and proceed to the “After Arriving in Ireland” section.

Before arriving in ireland after arriving in ireland

Need assistance or advice?